Though Elton John might have us think that ‘sorry’ seems to be the hardest word… if you’re fundraising the hardest word is often ‘please’.
Because let’s face it – asking people for money can feel a little awkward. But it doesn’t have to be, if you do it the right way.
Some of our most successful fundraisers have told us that one of the BIG things they struggled with was choosing how to share their page in a way that would help them raise the most.
Using a Facebook group to unite your family and friends around your fundraising activity and as a direct way of asking for their support.
Research across our platform has found that fundraisers who share their page through a Facebook group they’ve created raise 67% more than those who don’t. That’s right…67%!!
And the reason why?
Because you’re including people in a special group designed with one purpose – to support your fundraising and keep up to date with your progress.
Facebook groups are great for fundraising because they create a more ‘personal’ environment where you can invite others, directly ask them to help you, thank them when they do, and let them know when you’re close to your goal so they can help you reach (or even exceed) it.
So how do you do it, you ask? Follow the steps below.
1. Open the Facebook app on your phone and click on the ‘More’ icon in the bottom right.
2. Find the Groups tab and click ‘Create Group’
3. Give your Group a name then click ‘Go’
4. Choose an Icon
5. Add friends and family
6. Add a cover photo
7. Add a group description (tell your friends why you’re fundraising)
8. Post updates to the group regularly and encourage your friends personally to get involved by tagging them.
9. Thank friends that donate in a fun way by posting pictures/thank you messages to the group page and tagging them.
Fundraising through a Facebook group is both a great way to get people involved and invested in your activity, and to make them feel great by creating a forum where you can publically thank them and create a bit of FOMO for those friends and family who haven’t yet donated to you.
So what are you waiting for? Create a Facebook group now and start sharing your everydayhero fundraising page’s link!